Tuesday, November 20, 2007

From Casa to Home

Smooth trip back to NY. One final communication failure with my driver on the way to the airport, just to keep me from feeling too cocky about my Spanish comprehension (about which I was feeling fairly good this time 'round). When we pulled into the airport, he asked me something, so I replied "American." He looked confused and asked again. I repeated "American," trying to enunciate more clearly. Well and good if he'd been asking me what airline I was flying, but less helpful when he was actually asking if I'd like to pay...

Here's one corner of my Buenos Aires garden as I left it.



And here's a spiky plant I bought this on impulse from stall on Corrientes.



And here's the surprise that greeted me in our garden in NY.



Our Japanese maple has been thriving for the last couple of years, since we repotted it, but it's never had a very impressive fall display. The color is usually a sort of yellowy tan that might not be out of place on a tasteful woman's suit, but is a bit dreary for a garden. Well, this year, it's putting on quite a spectacular show.

Here's another view of the garden, which is surprisingly greenish for November.



It's nice to be home, tho I miss Bs As, too. My bifurcated life requires regular readjusting, but I think that's for the best, actually. Keeps the brain humming. Or at least annoyed, which is nearly as good.

No comments: