Friday, November 23, 2007

El Día de Accion de Gracias

The Spanish translation of Thanksgiving cracks me up. It seems so focused on the physical: "The Day of the Act of Thanking" But also, because I never really think about the literal meaning of the word Thanksgiving. Just a word.

Nonetheless, it was a very nice night, with good food and good friends. Here's how the apartment looked before we were ten. (Bobby and me; Ann, Stona, Amelia, and Claire; Miguel and Carter; Gary and Stephen) (Eleven counting the barky barky dog who also managed to break a glass with her tail, though happily, not a very nice one.)



The brined turkey turned out well. I hacked it apart using the Times butchering method, to mixed results. Basically, you cut everything off the bones first, then slice it. The idea being that you get more meat and slicing against the grain is better. It was easy and fun to do, but to slice across the grain, you have to cut quite thick slices, or they'll fall apart. I sort of miss the traditional, thinner turkey slices. It was great for the dark meat, though, so maybe next time I'll hack off the thighs, and then do the rest conventionally.



Pumpkin pie and apple tart by me, pecan pie by Stephen with the assistance of the pastry chef at the restaurant (Veritas) where he words. She had extra filling. Very tasty. (He also scored some appetizers--salmon tartar and an extraordinarily tasty pate with duck breast, foie gras, pork belly, and some other stuff.)



I have a long history of forgetting to put out at least one dish. This year it was the cranberry sauce that sat in the fridge, waiting patiently. Ah well. Not as tragic as the year I made three kinds of cookies as well as fudge for the holidays and then left them all in a box in the kitchen while Bobby, the dog, and I drove to Cleveland. I realized about two hours into the journey and seriously considered turning around...

I don't like taking photos during events, and I don't do it well. Anyway, here's one shot Ann took of Bobby, Claire, and me later in the evening. Amelia's legs featured in the lower right.

No comments: