Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I'm Back

I arrived back in Buenos Aires yesterday and was quite happy with the state of the apartment in general and, specifically, of the plants that Bobby said were doomed to a slow death by neglect. As it turns out, only two of them out and out croaked and pretty clearly it was by a more sudden and violent demise. They were both outside the kitchen window, which also put them just above the air conditioner motor. Burnt to a golden crisp, I'm afraid. Surprisingly, one of the bushes that was just inches to the left was completely unsinged. I moved it to another window anyway, just in case.

But on to the happier news. My avocados survive! I planted two of them last year at this time and they are both still here. One of them is even thriving. Here's what a 1-year-old avocado looks like.



Other plants seem fairly happy, too.



I bought this one on my last day here. It's grown a bit top-heavy, but seem sturdy. I like its threatening spininess.



Of course, it wouldn't be Argentina if I wasn't confused about something. I was about to pull off the dead fronds from this totally normally fern, when I had a closer look and realized that they aren't dead fronds but hairy roots.



I haven't a clue as to why they're sticking out of the pot, but I guess I'd better leave them be.

No comments: