Thursday, May 5, 2011

Un Zhoopy

I went to a very interesting interview last night with a local author named Carlos Gamerro. I've read some of his short stories and am going to see a play based on his best-known novel, Las Islas (about the Falklands), this Saturday. I could follow the entire interview quite well, except for a word here and there. One of which was zhoopy. They kept referring to his latest novel, which has a longish title, something about a zhoopy. But what's a zhoopy? About three-quarters of the way through the interview, after they said the word for at least the seventh time, it finally dawned on me that they were saying "yuppie" with an Argentine accent. (Later checking proves my conclusion correct. The full title is Un yuppie en la columna de Che Guevara" or "A Yuppie in Che Guevara's Column," I assume the military meaning of column, though I could be wrong.)

No comments: