Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The High Line Opens

Went first thing this morning to the High Line, which opened today. It's an elevated cargo rail line that was abandoned for 50 years or so and has now been turned into a park. It's about two blocks from our house.

It was rainy (misty at first, then quite stormy), but even when wet, it's terrific. I was worried it might be too architecty, but they've done a great job of creating interesting viewpoints without being indulgent.

Here's the Gansevoort Street entrance.


The plantings are inspired by the wildflowers that had taken root on the rails when it was abandoned.


This is the new Standard Hotel, my favorite new building in town.







Artwork by Hamilton College classmate Spencer Finch (I didn't know him). He took an 11-hour boat ride up the Hudson, taking pictures of the water. Each pane of glass is the color of one pixel in one of those photos; they're arranged chronologically from left to right and top to bottom (this is just one small section of the artwork.) His stuff can be ridiculously cerebral, but this one's quite pretty.


This is my street (16th), looking toward the east. I'm on the right two blocks down. My dad's staying at that building with the round windows (The Maritime Hotel) when he comes for a visit at the end of the month.



This is a hanging viewing area. You can sit on these wooden steps and watch the 10th venue traffic through the plexiglass.


My friend Karen's apartment (the pale yellow building at the right).


The Frank Gehry building on the West Side Highway.


Then it started to pour, so I had to leave. But I'm sure I'll be back, and often.

1 comment:

David Johnston said...

I love your High Line photos, Bruce. I've been there now a couple of times and it's my new favorite place in New York.