Friday, February 27, 2009

Más Hónico

Another for my collection of bad Spanish interpretations.


I'm on a guided tour of the Diego Rivera murals at the Palacio Nacional. They depict an amazing array of Mexican history, and our guide is terrific. He gets to one panel and says that it has some of the "más hónicos" elements in the mural. My brain freezes because I don't have a clue what "hónico" means. By the time I re-focus, he's talking abut a pyramid floating in the sky, and it reminds me of the symbol on Grandpa George's masonic mug.

Finally, several minutes later, I realize that the guide didn't say "más hónicos," but "masónicos." (They're not shown in these pics, by the way, which show another part of the mural. That trampy woman kissing a priest is part of the Capitalism panel.)

No comments: